"Just Tell Them...

I have worked 40 years to make the Women's Suffrage platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon."

Susan B. Anthony

Monday, December 22, 2008

Facebook Has Banned Breastfeeding Photos? Sic LLLI on 'em.



I am now treading into the area of my former expertise. And I don't mind saying so.

Yes, I was a Lactation Consultant.. IBCLC... for 16 years. Beyond that, I was a Mother & Baby nurse for about three decades. Just this year I allowed my IBCLC to lapse. While I maintain my RN licensure.

So... here's the deal.... if Facebook is acting up, where photos of breastfeeding are concerned.... sic La Leche League International on them. The organization will be quite happy, I suspect, to call in their breastfeeding lawyers .... of which there are always a bevy. (Cuz educated moms tend to breastfeed in very high numbers.)

Applicable laws, of which there are plenty on the books, will quickly be applied to the case. If no suitable law exists to protect breastfeeding mothers in the state Facebook operates out of.... I suspect one will. In 2009. 2010 tops.

No mother's advocacy group speaks as clearly, and with one voice, as does LLLI. My faith in them is boundless.

Photo credit: www.nemsplace.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Facebook banned my account for my asking them to reinstate Will Bowers. The decision maker is clearly some pimply insecure young man with unresolved issues re: women's breasts and his own penis.
    And as a mother of 3 I too respect LLLI for their work - volunteered for them once. But I am skeptical as to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We PUMAs will do ourselves a HUGE favor to observe how the La Leche League will, undoubtedly, come out against these Facebook shenanigans. Why? Because LLLI has but one goal: the protection of breastfeeding. It does not allow it's ranks to degenerate into battles about "Unity" over pro-choice or pro-life, Pro-circ or intact, Pro Nationalized Healthcare or against.

    LLL has been around since the 1950s. It is, IMO, *the* prototype for a successful women's advocacy group. If the group, as a whole, decides to confront Facebook.... the sh** WILL hit the fan there. Cuz the LLL I know don't mess around. Period.

    I am heartened to know that LLLI already has a presence on Facebook. That means that there is already awareness within the leadership.

    Popping my popcorn now..... this is gonna be interesting.....

    ReplyDelete