I really find THIS STORY to be unbelievable. Since when did my Liberal comrades become so intolerant? I mean really, guys.... he's one of us!
From the link:
* Mackey lectures at Universities about the horrors of factory farming
* He says "Right now, Americans have to pretend factory farms don't exist. They turn their eyes away, because there's no alternative, there's no choice. Once there is a choice, we will allow ourselves to be outraged."
* He makes $1 a year and donates his stock portfolio to charity.
* He set up a $100,00 fund to help his employees with personal problems.
* He's a vegetarian and his company will not buy from producers that treat their animals unethically.
* He flies commercial, rents the smallest cars, and stays in the cheapest hotel rooms - not because he's cheap, but because he has no need for largesse
* He and his wife participate in yoga
* He gives over $1 million a year to animal welfare groups, education, relief work, and spiritual movements.
* Employees have full say in who they work with - a new employee must receive a 2/3 vote in order to make it past probation.
* Employees also vote on all company-wide initiatives
* There's a salary book in every store - "no secrets" management believes everyone should know how much everyone else is making
* Executive salaries are capped at 14 times the lowest workers salary - If they want more money, everyone else has to get more money first
* Non-executive employees hold 94% of company stock options
* Pay is linked to team performance - profit sharing
* At least 5% of annual profits go to local charities
* Full-timers get 100% of their health care costs paid for - under plans the employees have selected
* "They just have a lot more respect for you as a person here" says an employee
And because he had a different idea about how the United States can fix its health care situation, none of this matters? He's a caring person and many of you want to treat him like a monster. Why? Not because he opposes reform, but because he's bringing more ideas to the table.
I am personally appalled that Liberals (one of whom I used to be) would attack, and boycott, an icon of such Liberal thought and principle. For offering a dissenting opinion. What have we come to? This is not like any form of Liberalism I have known, or wish to be part of.
I consider myself priveleged to be able to shop in a Whole Foods Market this year. In previous years I had to wait til I was in Boston to dine on their free range, organic turkeys.
That said, it's gonna be a Whole Foods Thanksgiving... and Christmas round here!
I am ordering my Whole Foods Gift Cards HERE.
How about you?
5 hours ago