"Just Tell Them...

I have worked 40 years to make the Women's Suffrage platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon."

Susan B. Anthony

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Do Human Beings Have "Dogmatism Quotas?"


Excellent question!

Lately I have found that many I expect to be quite open, because of their associations with "Liberal tolerance" are actually quite dogmatic in other areas. And vice versa.

This surprises me, quite frankly. Because... up until 2008 I believed that rigidity in one area of life was likely to foretell rigidity in others.

What do you think? Do we tend to need a certain amount of dogmatism in our lives? So that... when we are open minded in one arena, we actually shut down in another??

SYD

PS. Art Credit.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think people have dogma quotas. You haven't truly rocked the boat until you've been damned to hell by an atheist.

    I have to laugh, there is something about dogma and the left side of the aisle that I've always known was there, but I just kind of ignored it. I don't think I've ever had a person on the right accuse me of sacrilege or heresy, but I sure have bumped into those terms in regards to global warming or questioning the qualifications of the president.

    ReplyDelete