"Just Tell Them...

I have worked 40 years to make the Women's Suffrage platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon."

Susan B. Anthony

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Given Your Grandfather's Age ... and the Fact that it was Five PM on Friday....


The Onion explores why physicians may not be the best professionals to make "end of life decisions."

"Given your grandfather's age, overall state of health, limited medical coverage, the fact that it was almost 5 p.m. on a Friday, and that hand cramp I got midway through, the odds were stacked against him. He was in bad shape. Nonetheless, from the moment I woke up from my afternoon nap until the minute we decided to call it a day, Dr. Juzwiak and I gave it the ol' college try—you can be sure of that.

He's in a better place now, really. This hospital is terribly overcrowded, there's no AC, and I feel like I see a different sick guy walk in here every 15 minutes. It kind of sucks."


Just something to think about as we rush headlong into paying them to do so.

With all due respect, I do not understand why physicians are being paid to make these kinds of decisions with their patients? Why not chaplains? Social workers?

And haven't such discussions ALWAYS been voluntary?

Just sayin'.....

No comments:

Post a Comment