"Just Tell Them...

I have worked 40 years to make the Women's Suffrage platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon."

Susan B. Anthony

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Question of the Decade: Who Are the Social Conservatives/ Fiscal Liberals that Pushed Obama to Victory?

Cynthia Yockey raised the ugly specter a few days ago. And, frankly, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Then the beast appeared, yet again, at The Confluence.

How is it that the Democratic Party has managed to dupe so many Social Liberals with it's Socially Conservative / Fiscally Liberal dog and pony show? And is this what we PUMAs recognized, intuitively, in 2008? What made us so uneasy. What we could not quite put a finger on??

Personally, I am a Social Liberal first. Fiscally, I can go either way... depending on the issue. (That is why I liked Bill Clinton so much.) But.... I am *not* about to be led, by the Democrat Party... or anyone else... into some Socially Conservative/ Fiscally Liberal world that will damn women and gays to the same kind of hellish second classness that already exists for them in The Catholic Church, and many (dare I say Black) Southern Christian Denominations.

In fact, I broke with the Catholic Church over it's Social Conservatism. Almost 30 years ago. (I never picked a bone with their Fiscal Liberalism.)

SYD

PS. Remember THIS? Well, I tried to find a photo of Barack with his friend Donnie McClurkin to head this posting. Alas, they do not exist in Google. Strange, isn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, it was B0's devotion to Raygun that opened my eyes early on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:11 PM

    I remember Google openly admitting towards the end of the primaries they slanted the searches Obama's way. I'd try to find the link, but what do you want to bet it's nowhere to be found? Erase the evidence, erase the memory of the evidence.

    Just read 1984 for the first time and am amazed at how relevant that book is today.

    Lexia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Well said Edge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Well, they may have "disappeared" (just as Kagan would do to speech) photos of Obama and Donnie together, but how about a photo of Obama and Preacher Rick the major homophobe?

    http://thewheelofdharma.blogspot.com/2008/12/politics-hate-and-illusion-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that link to the Wheel of Dharma" blog. Very useful.... in my own practice.

    Namaste.

    SYD

    ReplyDelete