"Just Tell Them...

I have worked 40 years to make the Women's Suffrage platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon."

Susan B. Anthony

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

“Fulfilled life is possible in spite of unfulfilled wishes.”



But that doesn't mean we don't try!

The Vicissitudes of Life are being discussed over at PUMA Pac this morning. "How does one cope?" seems the question of the hour.

That got me to thinking (thanks Murphy and Mountainsong!) Here’s what I do, how I cope:

First of all, I take stock of what is *good* in my life right now. I recognize that I have a pretty darned good life. I live with the love of my life. I have what I need. And I do what I love.

Secondly, though, I know and accept that my own good fortune does not let me off the hook when it comes to fighting for the rights of others.

Third, I remind myself that “getting upset” won’t help. Yes, bitching will. Yes, acting mad may. Yes… telling it like is is can…. But, on a personal level none of these actions have anything to do with me. Really.

And when they do … when the vicissitudes of life are truly personal ... I recite little gems, like this one:

“Fulfilled life is possible in spite of unfulfilled wishes.”

About a dozen other sparkling jewels of wisdom, like the one absconded from Bonhoeffer's work, bounce around in my brain ... like pinballs in the game of life. And they reassure me that, no matter how bad things seem I am not the first to walk a difficult path. And I won't be the last.

So, I do what I can.

Which reminds me... I will be away for a while, doing a pet rescue run. I have six doggies and four kitties joining me on my Spring Break journey to CT/MA/NY/PA. All going to forever homes.

When I get back, I will be meeting with "The New Agenda" in Cincinnati. Looking forward to that! And to more ways that I can promote and protect the rights of women.

For those who do not know, we are meeting on March 14th at 4 PM. At the Front Porch Coffee House. See attached flier! (And, thanks to Anna Belle for that wonderful template!)

Title Quote: Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945)

No comments:

Post a Comment