I really find THIS STORY to be unbelievable. Since when did my Liberal comrades become so intolerant? I mean really, guys.... he's one of us!
From the link:
* Mackey lectures at Universities about the horrors of factory farming
* He says "Right now, Americans have to pretend factory farms don't exist. They turn their eyes away, because there's no alternative, there's no choice. Once there is a choice, we will allow ourselves to be outraged."
* He makes $1 a year and donates his stock portfolio to charity.
* He set up a $100,00 fund to help his employees with personal problems.
* He's a vegetarian and his company will not buy from producers that treat their animals unethically.
* He flies commercial, rents the smallest cars, and stays in the cheapest hotel rooms - not because he's cheap, but because he has no need for largesse
* He and his wife participate in yoga
* He gives over $1 million a year to animal welfare groups, education, relief work, and spiritual movements.
* Employees have full say in who they work with - a new employee must receive a 2/3 vote in order to make it past probation.
* Employees also vote on all company-wide initiatives
* There's a salary book in every store - "no secrets" management believes everyone should know how much everyone else is making
* Executive salaries are capped at 14 times the lowest workers salary - If they want more money, everyone else has to get more money first
* Non-executive employees hold 94% of company stock options
* Pay is linked to team performance - profit sharing
* At least 5% of annual profits go to local charities
* Full-timers get 100% of their health care costs paid for - under plans the employees have selected
* "They just have a lot more respect for you as a person here" says an employee
And because he had a different idea about how the United States can fix its health care situation, none of this matters? He's a caring person and many of you want to treat him like a monster. Why? Not because he opposes reform, but because he's bringing more ideas to the table.
I am personally appalled that Liberals (one of whom I used to be) would attack, and boycott, an icon of such Liberal thought and principle. For offering a dissenting opinion. What have we come to? This is not like any form of Liberalism I have known, or wish to be part of.
I consider myself priveleged to be able to shop in a Whole Foods Market this year. In previous years I had to wait til I was in Boston to dine on their free range, organic turkeys.
That said, it's gonna be a Whole Foods Thanksgiving... and Christmas round here!
I am ordering my Whole Foods Gift Cards HERE.
How about you?
"Just Tell Them...
I have worked 40 years to make the Women's Suffrage platform broad enough for Atheists and Agnostics to stand upon, and now if need be I will fight the next 40 to keep it Catholic enough to permit the straightest Orthodox religionist to speak or pray and count her beads upon."
Susan B. Anthony
Susan B. Anthony